Okay, Cola. is hot — as I detailed ad nauseum yesterday, and it was still hot today. I can wear more deodorant, and I’m so glad I went. We had a SUPER time at the zoo with my zoo crew. After a great visit (lots of pictures below), I thought it would be good to make some recommendations for others who visit. I haven’t been in about 6 or 7 years, and there were lots of changes, many more interactive exhibits that let you have lots of contact with the animals. Jamie had her super lemongrass hand sanitizer (which smells great) so we could pet, feed and touch the animals without fear of botulism, giraffe colds or other exotic ailments.
1) Go see the giraffes – the BEST, but bring your own lettuce (Romaine I think). Jamie paid $4 for a large handful to feed to the giraffes — we could have eaten a couple of salads and still fed the giraffes for the same amount of money. The giraffe feeding was definitely the highlight of the day.
2) Skip the dinosaur 3-d movie if your kids are sensitive to loud noises. Jamie took Lance and he said it was too loud after 30 seconds.
3) Go in the morning — even though it was hot, the animals were out earlier in the morning — we saw lions out at 9:30 and I didn’t expect to see in the heat.
4) Go see the birds and feed them the nectar (worth the $2). I don’t think you can bring your own – where do you buy nectar anyway? I may have gotten over my slight fear of birds when her creepy little claws landed on my hand (maybe not). Again, thankful for Jamie’s hand sanitizer.
5) Skip the gorilla exhibit. He looks like a muscular, hairy, possibly a little dumb man (that I might have dated in the distant past) on display for our amusement, but I could be overly sensitive.
I am so thankful Jamie decided to bring Katie and me! Super fun.